onsdag 16. januar 2013

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”

That Sinhalese society should be agitated and outraged over the dismissal of the Chief Justice is understandable, but it seems curious to me that some Tamils are also equally excited. Tamils have been denied justice ever since independence. Has this particular Chief Justice showed concern and care on the subject? I don’t know, and so I ask you. The “chief justice” that Tamils rightly long for is full equality – not only in law but in daily life and actual practice. While a few Sinhalese have protested at the injustice, violence, expropriation, occupation and violence meted out to Tamils, many have actively collaborated, participated and profited. Others have been indifferent: couldn't care less. But when Sinhalese society feels threatened, Tamils are expected to join in opposition – and some do. If this particular Chief Justice is reinstated, will it alter anything, to any degree, for the suffering Tamils? “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” Some Tamils are fooled - again and again. Remember the assurances given, the promises made, the pacts (example, Banda – Chelva) solemnly entered into. Have I missed out something? If so, please put me straight. I look forward to hearing from you. .......PROF.CS

Ingen kommentarer: